Best value/investment/collectible set choice? | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Best value/investment/collectible set choice?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Threw together a quick list of accessories and their frequency in sets:

3410 is in 3 retail sets, 3 catalog sets

3414 is in 2 retail sets, 4 catalog sets

3415 is in 5 retail sets, 6 catalog sets

3416 is in 2 retail sets, 4 catalog sets

3420 is in 5 retail sets, 10 catalog sets

3420-3 is in 1 retail set, 1 catalog set

3425 is in 4 retail sets, 6 catalog sets

3430 is in 7 retail sets, 6 catalog sets

3434 is in 1 retail set, 0 catalog sets

3435 is in 2 retail sets, 2 catalog sets

3436 is in 7 retail sets, 9 catalog sets

3436-1 is in 1 retail set, 2 catalog sets

3440 is in 15 retail sets, 15 catalog sets

3440-1 is in 1 retail set, 0 catalog sets

3440-2 is in 1 retail set, 2 catalog sets

3443 is in 1 retail set, 0 catalog sets

3444 is in 1 retail set, 0 catalog sets

3445 never appeared in sets

3450 is in 2 retail sets, 5 catalog sets

3452 is separated from the 3420

3453 is part of the 3420-3

3455 is in 3 retail sets, 7 catalog sets

3456 is in 2 retail sets, 6 catalog sets

3460 is in 3 retail sets, 5 catalog sets

3460-1 is in 1 retail set, 0 catalog sets

3461 is separated from the 3420

3465 is in 3 retail sets, 7 catalog sets

3467 is in 2 retail sets, 4 catalog sets

3470 is the retail version of 3414

3475 is in 1 retail set, 3 catalog sets

As a collector/investor, I’ve became more fond of buying catalog sets. While “plain and boring “ to most because of the mail order boxes, I value their rarity and uniqueness. And honestly, I was surprised at the frequency of accessories in them after compiling this list.

I think a lot of mystery surrounds these sets because they probably seem fake. Just a bunch of stuff thrown in a box and sold. However, it’s no surprise that a 3336 (JCP’s 1983 Empire Trucking, their exclusive 3226) is probably one of the most wanted sets. But I also think the 3320 (JCP’s 1982 exclusive 3226) is a slept on set, that 99% of people (as US-1 enthusiasts) don’t even know about. Also the fact that Montgomery Ward’s catalog sets almost never appear. The only one I remember seeing was a 3216 (Highway Overpass) set in a retail box, renumbered as the 3330.

The most unique and “insane” set I know of is the 48 T 28015 (remember 48 is Montgomery Wards’ unique identifier, and T is unique to their proprietary sets). It is literally a Motor City set combined with a Fire Alert set. I actually opened around $700 in sealed stuff to build one because I don’t think a legit set will ever be seen.

So the list is informative to know what each accessory was put into. The -# after some refers to the set only versions and I followed Tyco’s example from the 3208-1 and 3208-2, as well as the 3420-3 stenciled on that accessory box from the 3216 set I had.

What’s your take? Do you feel the retail sets are a better value/investment? Or are you more inclined to collect catalog sets?

For reference I have a catalog 3201, 3302(3205), 3320 (3226), 3336 (3226), 3344 (3228), and the home built SFA 28015. And my retail sets are the 3213, 3217, 3219, and 3235. I recently got rid of a 3204, 3208-1, 3212, 3214, 3216, and a 3225.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: bigbeard
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
After the fact, I shied away from buying any ‘81 sets because I did buy 2 3210’s and they are too hard to restore/replace stuff with the lined track. I initially had a plan to buy/collect/restore one of each set, each truck/vehicle, trailer, and accessory, with the latter two also including sealed items. But, after buying 3 3217’s, 2 3208’s, a 3209, just to throw away most of it, as well as the 2 3210’s, and buying countless accessories and trucks to replace broken stuff, it just got really expensive, really fast (I’ve stated a few times I have somewhere around $30,000+, maybe even $35,000 in this stuff), and that’s why I’m salty about resellers and pricing.

In general, that’s why I post up obscure data like the code numbers, mold numbers, and stuff that to the hobbiest might not make sense, or that most may not care about. When you’re that invested you start to care, lol..

Also, I didn’t include any export items in anything because it’s too hard to find and catalog what’s possibly out there.

However there was a Canadian export 3226 that used a 59###### code on eBay a while back. This set was highly unique like the 3336, and even more so that it used 2 3430’s in it. I believe it was up for $1,000, and it took all my willpower to not buy it. Definitely a probable once in a lifetime offer, IMO..

And that opened a wormhole to wonder what other export catalog sets were made that we’ll probably never see or know about..

Last edited:
Mike Raffa

Mike Raffa

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
It’s always amazing to me the depth of knowledge you express and the extensive detail you have in the information you provide. You know a lot of items by specific numbers. Would it be possible to include a small photo with the numbered item? I’m sure it would add a lot more effort on your part, but it would be helpful. Numbers are good, but for me a photo helps more mainly because I don’t know where to find a numbered item. I have a few photos sheets that came with the sets I have, but there’s way more items that exist. I’d love to see a photo with a numbered item.

biddle

biddle

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
What’s your take? Do you feel the retail sets are a better value/investment? Or are you more inclined to collect catalog sets?
Nothing I buy is for an investment, all for hobby purposes. The only box set I have is the Highway Wrecker set which serves to other purposes like helping promote this site via exposure on ebay. I do like the artwork is great on it and the fact it still has the ToysRUs price sticker on it.

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
The retail sets are much more collectable and a better investment IMO. The only investment I make is the price I pay before I flip it as fast as I can and use the cash to buy more stuff to play with. People want something to look at, artwork, box photos and text., and to relive memories, who remembers the generic white box with a content sticker on it they got on Christmas morning?
I remember those days, the generic beer was the worst, it would almost make you want to quit drinking.

Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Would it be possible to include a small photo with the numbered item?

Honestly I’d need maybe 30-35 pics to do this. It’s all out in set literature and on the web tho.

Here is a web site for trains that has every Tyco catalog for the US-1 years:

The specific years are 1981-1985. There is a multitude of info here. Sets, accessories, truck and trailers, and track. Also has the bulk case info for the distributors.

Another site is for the 1981-1985 catalogs from Sears, J.C. Penny, and Montgomery Ward. Just search “198# [store] catalog” and it will be from a site named MuseTechnical. You’ll have to scroll through the pages till you find the US-1 stuff. This covers all the catalog items.

The sets have a limited version of these catalogs as the Catalog Page in each set.

Another resource is the Content Sheets for each set. Specifically starting with the 1984 sets, they began adding the item number alongside the parts contained. Another resource is the Mail Order forms in each set, with 1981-1983 being in the the Assembly Sheet. In ‘84 and ‘85 they used a separate form.

Another resource is looking at pics in for sale posts. Like the G.I. Joe labels I put up recently, that has a lot of info pertaining to what labels and where they go. Invaluable image IMO.

And also I learned stuff just by sheer volume of buying things, and looking at for sale items.

One example is the 3901 Green Dump Truck. There are four or five distinct versions different in color and whether the bed has a stop tab or not. Only by buying them was I able to distinguish them, and by seeing a difference in something for sale from what I owned. And depending on whether it is lighted or painted, and how the chassis is built, there can be as many as 9 different trucks. This also applies to the 3902, 3903, and 3904 with maybe 4-6 versions of each. So that’s as many as 27 “different” slots..

I compiled the box/sheet numbers from each item. Some I’ve found by looking at sale items, most I got by buying items. Remember the 9#-#-### I’ve referenced. These are in numerical order and can place items by year. Then I learned the -# and “A” variants by looking and realizing these are internal changes to items. Mostly due to the change from the separate wired control 3010 to the one piece 3025.

I found it fairly easy to remember a lot of the numbers when you see 30/37 is the track ID, 32 and 33 is the set ID, 34 is the accessory, 39 is the trucks/trailers (as well as remembering 3901-3905, no 6 or 7, 3908-3914, vehicles start at 51, lighted at 35, Stomper at 62, trailers at 25), and 78 is a track accessory. There isn’t a whole lot of stuff all together, so after years of seeing the same numbers over and over it becomes second nature.

And, it’s always exciting to me to see something new, as in the case of that Canadian export 3336. I poured over those pics for about 20 minutes and studied the content sheet, and took a screen shot of it. That goes into my database to reference later if need be.

So, I’m not some wizard that sacrificed a goat to Satan to learn all this. I just like, well, love it, and of course wanting to collect it, it makes sense to know what your into.. right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: Mike Raffa

Users who are viewing this thread