Brand New Track For Cheap? | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Brand New Track For Cheap?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I recently purchased some gray track with rail road markings intended for Twin Turbo Sets. Since I have worked with plastic model cars a bit. I learned you could strip paint using Super Clean degreaser without harming plastic. So I decided to give it a go. After soaking the track in undiluted Super Clean for 4 hours. The track was stripped of all Rail Road Markings. So this maybe a cheap way to obtain some new track.
grey track.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I soaked it overnight in a tub in the garage, four to six hours still left a shadow of the tracks but I did a bunch at a time. They still had a faint track shadow after scrubbing them off and rinsing but it rubs right off with aggressive drying with a terrycloth towel, then I blow dry them. The towel gets off the yellowing sometimes after cleaning or bleaching old track too. The Turbo Train track is a real cool gray but close enough for now, may paint it later, cheap as dirt compared to US-1 track and works. I'll just say it's new concrete, the 1/8 circle black track sections are asphalt patches. :D

• Love
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I have lightly spray painted the ends of the gray track black before to give it that a transition, so it looks like an asphalt road repair. As for the turbo train track, I think the key is for it to be as new as possible and not yellowed. I wonder if Mike's bleaching method would work after the super clean wash? But it is a good way to get some cheap criss cross , Curves, and straights.

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I' ll give that technique a try, track isn't that far off from a distance except where those old and new tracks join. I don't have any criss-cross, squeeze track or railroad crossings. I like letting them run loose and not have to worry about head-on and sideswipe crashes., it can really damage the running gear and bodies too. plus my grandsons would use it to their destructive advantage. If I do crashes it's going to be in a controlled situation like Gomez Addams did with the model train carnage in "The Addams Family" TV show, just have to get me an old dynamite plunger. :LOL:

suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Do you think Tyco intentionally produced those tracks so you would have to buy more trucks and trains? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread