Corrosion in motor brush area | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Corrosion in motor brush area

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
F9948D9D-8F9C-417E-9B67-5DDB1AD91AF9.jpeg

I was running some trucks last night and had a 62 Stomper truck DOA. I thought maybe the gear had split and locked, but the axle wasn’t popping.

I took the body off and found the motor like this.

I’m kind of perplexed seeing how that resembles fluff from a long stored battery. I haven’t seen that on any other motor, so I really am not sure how that happened.

Anyway, I switched the motor and the Stomper runs great. Just passing this along so if you have a truck go DOA, to check the brush area for this corrosion. I thought about pulling it apart, but honestly I don’t even care, had a spare motor so it’s just something weird I wanted to share.

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Looks like the corrosion you end up with on water heater connections between the iron water heater nipples and copper house piping when you don't use dielectric unions. I learned that you have to use those before I could walk, my old man would throw a bunch of copper fittings and steel wool in my playpen and tell me to get them cleaned up, fluxed, and ready to solder.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Looks like the corrosion you end up with on water heater connections between the iron water heater nipples and copper house piping when you don't use dielectric unions. I learned that you have to use those before I could walk, my old man would throw a bunch of copper fittings and steel wool in my playpen and tell me to get them cleaned up, fluxed, and ready to solder.

That something similar to electrolysis. What your saying is something similar like putting ferrous metals with non-ferrous and adding the heat from the water heater. Like putting aluminum heads on an iron block. Or cavitation from air bubbles.

This is the fluff like when you have a bad ground on a battery. Not one of the other 75 motors I have look like this..

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread