Down the dcc Route ? | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Down the dcc Route ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Timmy
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Timmy

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi Truckers!
Just a thought ! Has any one considered using dcc with Tyco Trucks. I found with a squeeze that the old Zero one Chip (with a squeeze) fits into the cabs and can be converted to dcc. I say Hornby Zero one because you can have more than one controller and instant control of a truck at any time. So on a fair size layout having say 4 or 5 trucks going round could be interesting. I am only in the thoughts at the moment the only draw back would be there only work with zero one if I sale them at a later date.
I thought about the modern dcc but having to type the number in every time you want to have control of a truck ( CRASH ! ) But have Zero 1 independent controllers makes easy Control. And you can isolate the trucks any where on the layout. Two controllers with slaves for each lane makes 10 trucks..
This is just a thought I have all the bits to convert. The questions I am putting forward are. Am I the first as any one else done it ? Would this be a great idea ? I have run the motor using Zero one it runs well and does not seem to get hot despite its half wave output.
Well there we have it does the thought sound stupid or will it work or does it just spoil the whole collecting. For those who don't know Hornby Zero One came out in 1979 so its classed as retro along with Tyco Us1.
Tim

Hi Tim, I think it is an amazing idea... There are many aspects to a hobby so I don't believe there would be any one that really objects.
I did find this on YouTube a few months ago..

There is also a video with trucks and trains all running on DCC...
Jack

Hi Tim, I think it is an amazing idea... There are many aspects to a hobby so I don't believe there would be any one that really objects.
I did find this on YouTube a few months ago..

There is also a video with trucks and trains all running on DCC...
Jack
Hi Jack.
I was wondering if any one was going to come back to me on this. And I am so pleased that you have. I think I am going to do some test over the next few weeks. and keep you informed I perhaps do some video to. Thank you for the UTube links I will have a look at them.
Its nice to have a comment as it builds up the get down to it and lets see if it works.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
Hi All.
Just a update for those who interested. I have done some test regarding the old Hornby Zero one and the trucks. Fitting the chip was a challenge on the small dumper truck after turning the chip around a small but not noticeable cut was made behind the bumper but the chip fits fine.
Running was far better than I thought the continuous 16 volt through the track made a great difference to pick up. And running was smooth. And the main advantage was the fact that using the add on controllers to zero one means one controller for each lorry so full control over all trucks. This can not be done with modern dcc systems all tho the chips are smaller and full wave instead of half wave they as far as I know do not support separate controllers. ( Means modern dcc every time you want to take control of a different truck you have to key in a different number and press enter and in tyco trucking this is a no no) But with zero one every truck can be controlled separate.
As for track plans I am having to circuits upper is 20feet by 36" control is zero one. And the lower is 19ft x 24" this will be normal tyco control .One above the other. The upper will have single tracks off to industrial areas.
I will let you know how I get on with track plans after its taken of paper and made practical. As time goes on I will attach some photos if interested of chip fitted to truck and some photos as I proceed.
Hope you find this interesting.

My brain hurts trying to understand this. :) I just wired a controller so I can plug in seperate transformers for each lane, the extent of my electronical knowledge. I build 1/32 slot cars and chip them for Carrera digital but that' s no big deal. The Carrera trucks do have different sounds depending on what controller number you use. US-1 trucks with backup beepers and air horns would be cool.:cool:

• Wow
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: Timmy and biddle
Is this the Hornby Zero 1 you mentioned Timmy? Is it from the 70's?
Hornby Zero 1 YouTube video
If I see this correctly, there can be controllers daisy chained to the "master". Is there a limit to how many?
Hi. Yes it is from late 70s early 80s. And yes Daisy chain controllers on that makes it good for Tyco trucks as with modern dcc you have to key in each truck that you want to control.
Zero one you don't. There is videos on utube on how to connect 16 or more controllers, and is easy to do. standard as it comes you can have 4 controllers and a hand held connected.
unfortunate I am going to put things on hold at the moment other commitments have taken over. But hope to be back soon.

Hi all truckers! Just to let you know I am back in form and finishing the baseboard for the layout so will be keeping you updated with photos video's etc in the near future.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
I have noticed a few posts on YouTube about DCC converted Tyco trucks which looked pretty cool. This would help me overcome some problems as I am putting together a large layout integrated with a train set, and would like to have a truck stop of a half a dozen trucks parked in front of a garage and diner.
Thanks

I can park a bunch of trucks at a truck stop, they don't have to be digital, they don't even have to run unless parking is your thing. If doing this DCC thing is anything like converting older pre-digital analog slot cars to digital I've done a bunch. I wonder how you work it with trucks going apposite directions? You couldn't switch to the other track without major polarity/short circuit problems unless train chips do something different? The only use would be that you could run multiple trucks in one or the other lane unless you want to go to four lanes, that actually would be the best set-up, use crossovers to switch lanes, controlled lane switches and exits would be a challenge but possible. I like the analogness of US-1 myself, nice and simple, no electronics other than the power pack and controllers, Tyco even went to manual accessories for the trains at the same time, back to nature. :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread