Finally scored a dual print Operating crane Pipe Loader 3410 | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Finally scored a dual print Operating crane Pipe Loader 3410

• Thread starter Thread starter Tyco Trucking
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
After a couple years I finally scored a dual print 3410 Crane.

These align with the early ‘81 items like the tan floor 3452, light grey painted 3430, and lined track.

I probably owned upwards of a dozen 3410’s, and looked at dozens more and this is definitely a hard item to find.

I wasn’t even sure it was dual printed but I thought I had one a long time ago. And the retail box shows it being dual printed.

These align with the early ‘81 items like the tan floor 3452, light grey painted 3430, and lined track.

I probably owned upwards of a dozen 3410’s, and looked at dozens more and this is definitely a hard item to find.

I wasn’t even sure it was dual printed but I thought I had one a long time ago. And the retail box shows it being dual printed.
Edit: As per usual, I saw one and bought it, but there are two more up also, but the end of the boom is broken on both.

When it rains it pours, lol, but that’s how US-1 goes, something shows up that hasn’t been seen in a long time, then you buy it and 15 more post within a week. Still a hard item to find regardless…
B8D355BA-476A-419E-A98C-6D241D605B99.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: adksigns

Edit: As per usual, I saw one and bought it, but there are two more up also, but the end of the boom is broken on both.

When it rains it pours, lol, but that’s how US-1 goes, something shows up that hasn’t been seen in a long time, then you buy it and 15 more post within a week. Still a hard item to find regardless…
Dual print meaning two colors? Here is mine
20230919_132229.jpg

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: adksigns
Dual print meaning two colors? Here is mine
The “General Construction Co.” print on the crane, you see how yours is all red, which most are, if you look at my pic the “General” is in black, the “Construction Co.” is in red. This is how you know it’s first gen.

Also looking at the base where the crane sits, there is a slot on the 2nd gen where a tab on the treads goes in. On the early ‘81’s there is no tab or slot. I’ll show that comparison when I get the crane.

Also looking I think the tracks are painted flat black on the first gen, where the 2nd gen is natural cast plastic. I’ll verify that also…

I got the crane, but it has a 2nd Gen base with it, so I can’t show how the first gens look.

It’s somewhat outlined on the accessory instruction, as it says to ensure the treads are all the way down on the post. The 2nd gen added the slot and the tab to ensure it was properly seated.

I just checked mine. I have 2nd gen with tab and slot. but instruction sheet in the box seems to be gen 1. Doesnt show any tabs.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
I just checked mine. I have 2nd gen with tab and slot. but instruction sheet in the box seems to be gen 1. Doesnt show any tabs.
Yeah, I have both versions of the instructions:

3253DE06-F57D-42D0-8678-EA09E8C3D0D1.jpeg

This is the early version with no sheet number.

20D9C615-556C-4DFB-BFDF-DB1641CCB6FA.jpeg

This is the later version with the sheet number, lower right corner.

Neither one show the tab or slot. There are, to the best of my knowledge, four of the first gens on eBay right now. Three are separate, two have broken booms, the other is in a lot with other stuff, possibly a 3210 or 3225 set, I can’t remember exactly.

I just like putting the “better” first gen stuff in my sets. The painted 3901-3904 and the 50-series vehicles look so much better painted. Black dot trailers, etc. It’s just too bad it only covers the original 10 slots and 7 accessories, and 6 trailers, plus the track.

A list of how to figure first gen items:

The track of course has painted lines. The trucks are painted with black inserts, brown gears and guide blades.

The 3410 is as we talked about, the 3415 has a driver with tan hands. The 3420 has the tan floor dump bin and the single slot track piece. The 3425 will have the 3-piece light grey operating mechanism. The 3430 will have a light grey painted base and the same 3-piece mechanism. The 3435 I am not sure of what, if any, differences it has, I’ve only had about 3 or 4 of those and never really compared it. The 3440 will have a plain track piece, the later version has two small bumps right at the box.

There are a few different 3010 terminals, but the first gen will have a reverse switch and painted lines and the words “Power Pack” are painted red. There are also “switched” 3010’s with no lines, and I’ve noticed at least 2 or 3 lengths of the rainbow wire.

The “center-off” 3010 then was released, but by 1982 the 3010 was replaced by the 3025. So at what point the painted “switched” 3010 became unpainted, and then the “center-off” terminal IDK. The 3010 definitely went through a lot of changes in a short period of time. And that’s not to say they weren’t used in 1982 until stock ran out, but most 1982 sets have the 3025..

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: gregarnone

Users who are viewing this thread