Guardrails on tracks may not be a good addition | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Guardrails on tracks may not be a good addition

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Raffa
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Mike Raffa

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone. I purchased a set of yellow guard rails (they come in different colors) and attached them to the outer side of my curved tracks and the outer side of two straight tracks. I was pleased with how they look. However, I discovered that on certain vehicles, like the Fire Truck for one, their outer tires rub slightly against these guardrails, causing slightly reduced speed and jockeying of the vehicle. This isn’t so problematic that I need to remove them. I will mention that these guard rails were for TYCO HO Racing Car tracks. Maybe there are ones specifically for TYCO US-1 Trucking tracks. All suggestions welcomed.

Hello everyone. I purchased a set of yellow guard rails (they come in different colors) and attached them to the outer side of my curved tracks and the outer side of two straight tracks. I was pleased with how they look. However, I discovered that on certain vehicles, like the Fire Truck for one, their outer tires rub slightly

There was a post about replacement rims for the Fire Truck, in it I posted a pic of how the rear rims are different because of the integrated gear. They used a thinner tire, so if replaced with a normal tire it will stick out past the rim.

I compared my normal-tired Fire Truck (the tire sticks out past the rim) to the Sparkin’ Hot Rod cars I have from that set, they use HP7 chassis (definitely a car that would be ran with guard rails) and there was a good 1/16” to almost 1/8” difference between them.

The only US-1 set that had guard rails is the 3211 Stomper set, and AFAIK they are all the same #7968 rail. Comparing the Stomper to the Sparkin’ car the Stomper is about the same difference, if not a hair more.

I’d recheck the guard rails and make sure they aren’t angled in toward the track. I had some guard rails somewhere but I don’t know where they are so I can refresh my memory of how they attach.

Also, there is an overhang, basically looking at where the center of the rear tire is to the end of the truck body. When the trucks go into the curves, this overhang will angle the body giving a wider profile to the outside of the track. This is especially relevant to the Fire Truck, Wrecker, and the dump trucks. Because of this, that may be a reason that no US-1 sets came with guard rails.

Last edited:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
After the fact, I checked my 3211 sheet and the guard rails are placed only on the straight track over Devil’s Canyon. This negates any effect of the curves and tire width.

I didn’t want to get into the geometry, but so people understand my comment. The guide pins control where the truck lays on the track. As the truck enters the curve the rear pin stays stationary as the front pin moves toward the inside of the layout. Because the rear pin is angularly stationary, it is like as if you took the truck and lifted the front and pivoted it toward the inside, making the rear outside corner of the body swing out toward the outside of the track.

So yes, you’re correct in saying that while aesthetically eye pleasing, they are mechanically not a good idea, at least in the curves.

Users who are viewing this thread