How risky is purchasing on Facebook? | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

How risky is purchasing on Facebook?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I have never bought anything from Facebook that had to be shipped. How risky is that?

biddle

biddle

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
I have never bought anything from Facebook that had to be shipped. How risky is that?
There are tips online about buying from FB Marketplace like- https://www.keepersecurity.com/blog/2023/07/21/how-to-buy-and-sell-safely-on-facebook-marketplace/

People get in trouble by agreeing to pay via F&F aka "Friends & Family" or Venmo when selling items via post comments. Itbis interesting because the fee, which is effectively like insuring a package, is only about 3%. When you send money to a complete stranger on Facebook, it's not Friends and Family, Also, Facebook Marketplace has it's own payment system that is protected. I always agree to pay the 3% fee on top of the agreed price. I WILL NOT buy something via F&F, Period.

ALWAYS speak to the seller on the phone, I recently made a purchase from someone who posted here, we spoke on the phone briefly.

Last edited:
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
There are tips online about buying from FB Marketplace like- https://www.keepersecurity.com/blog/2023/07/21/how-to-buy-and-sell-safely-on-facebook-marketplace/

People get in trouble by agreeing to pay via F&F aka "Friends & Family" or Venmo etc. This one is interesting because the fee, which is effectively like insuring a package, is only about 3%. When you send money to a complete stranger on Facebook, it's not Friends and Family, Also, Facebook Marketplace has it's own payment system that is protected. I always agree to pay the 3% fee on top of the agreed price. I WILL NOT buy something via F&F, Period.

ALWAYS speak to the seller on the phone, I recently made a purchase from someone who posted here, we spoke on the phone briefly.
Thanks. Good to know. I was really wondering how purchase protection worked.

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I have a done facebook prurchases and it's a wild west show. I bought three US-1 trailers , used but good for the grandkids set. I get them and the guide pins are cut off the wheel trucks on all three of them, maybe so they would sit flat for display? No pics of the bottoms and he said they were complete with no damage. There are no returns but Facebook is like ebay and if not described or damaged you can return the item no matter what as long as the seller agrees. The seller agreed to a return but Facebook won't for some reason, everything went through them, he wants to send me my money but I would have to pay the shipping both ways and tax. If you do buy something make sure to use Paypal because they cover you if there is a problem, so will the credit card companies if there's fraud but what a PITA, all of it.

suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I have a done facebook prurchases and it's a wild west show. I bought three US-1 trailers , used but good for the grandkids set. I get them and the guide pins are cut off the wheel trucks on all three of them, maybe so they would sit flat for display? No pics of the bottoms and he said they were complete with no damage. There are no returns but Facebook is like ebay and if not described or damaged you can return the item no matter what as long as the seller agrees. The seller agreed to a return but Facebook won't for some reason, everything went through them, he wants to send me my money but I would have to pay the shipping both ways and tax. If you do buy something make sure to use Paypal because they cover you if there is a problem, so will the credit card companies if there's fraud but what a PITA, all of it.
They cut the pins off the wheel trucks so they would run on Command Control stuff is my guess. I have seen that before.

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Paypal denied my case, Facebook does nothing, their guarantee is worthless. The seller is going to get a review he won't be happy with. I guess I just ate three trailers. I could sell them for what I paid but that isn't the point. A Coke, gray gravel, and Roadway in played with condition, I may blow them up come fourth of July and relieve my frustrations.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
biddle

biddle

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
Paypal denied my case
Fund your Paypal purchase with a credit card, then you can dispute it with your credit card. I stick to local purchases on FB Marketplace that I can see. Also lesson learned about asking for photos of the underside of any slot car or trailer. Seller likely knew and omitted the photos intentionally.
Also if you got denied, sounds like the seller fought it.

Last edited:
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I guess that answered my question. I will continue to over pay on eBay. You could just buy some cheap red flat beds and steal the bogeys from them.

SimpleB

SimpleB

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
Paypal denied my case, Facebook does nothing, their guarantee is worthless. The seller is going to get a review he won't be happy with. I guess I just ate three trailers. I could sell them for what I paid but that isn't the point. A Coke, gray gravel, and Roadway in played with condition, I may blow them up come fourth of July and relieve my frustrations.

I've never had good luck on Facebook marketplace. Either the product is too beat up (even for my low standards), they're asking far too much, or both. Also, my area seems to be a bit of a dead zone for US1 stuff. Neighboring cities see way more action with their listings, but I haven't got the time to drive and people on FB are weird about shipping items. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread