Installing Tyco Road and Rail Crossing Track with Wig-Wag lights and Auto Truck Braking | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Installing Tyco Road and Rail Crossing Track with Wig-Wag lights and Auto Truck Braking

• Thread starter Thread starter AMH1955
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I was asked to explain this so thought I would start a new thread. I did it with all off the shelf train items, Circuitron for the electronics and Walthers wig-wag lights, got it all at Hobbylinc, best prices I could find and they give reward point discounts, had a bunch stored up. The only thing that has to be done is one track rail has to be isolated before the crossing so it can be de-energized to stop the truck. In the pic I put red tape where the gaps are. You basically remove the negative rail then cut it so there is a 3/8" gap between it and the ends then replace it and the end pieces in the track, I use E6000 to glue it back in. Then you solder a wire to the isolated section, solder a wire between the ends for overall track continuity, then solder a wire to either end to power up that section when the relay is closed/off. The flasher unit has to have optical sensors installed in in the rail trackbed to work. I put one about 2-3 feet before the crossing and one just after the crossing, you have to drill two tiny holes in the track bed to install them, some E6000 on back to hold them down. The rest is just a lot of soldering, they sell crimp ends that I used but soldered them on, you can solder directly to the circuit board terminals but I like to be able to disconnect everything.

It's pretty simple the way it works, only took me a month to figure out , I was trying too hard. You connect the optical sensors and wig-wag flashers and the relay all up to 12V power source, I used a small distribution block , connect all the flasher wires per the instructions then the two wires from each track section to the relays, then the trigger wire from the flasher to energize the relays when the train passes, tot urn it on or off to stop the truck when the relay is energized. The relay is single pole double throw so it switches the power source between two poles, you use the normally closed pole and leave the other one disconnected. You can also get a bell ringer from Circuitron so it rings when the train goes by. The only thing to watch out for is the correct size resistor to drop the voltage from 12 down to 2.3 for the wig-wags light led's. I accidentally blew one out so I replaced all of them with red micro led's I use for 1/32 slot car tail lights, have solid copper wire and just fit, much brighter too. I wouldn't recommend doing it though unless you like macro electrical work and they have to be cut in half to get to the wires. They sell some low cost chinesium ones too, guys seem to like them. I may put the one sensor a little farther up the track, it can get a little close sometimes if the train is going fast but keeping the track after the brake section energized lets the truck just it clear before it gets hit. If you stop the truck on the track you're out of luck. I used two relays because I have the lanes each on their own power pack. You could probably use one relay on a regular track if the negatives track share the negative from the controller. You also need a good pencil tip soldering iron and solder and 22 AWG and some smaller 28? AWG wire for the led's, the 22 would work but is a little bulky for that.

20240215_143343.jpg20240215_142722.jpg20240215_143238.jpg

20240215_142722.jpg

20240215_143053.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I' like to attempt this in the near future. BTW, I like the RR cross detail on the track. Dis you use a stencil, decal, or something else?

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
Thanks. I' like to attempt this in the near future. BTW, I like the RR cross detail on the track. Dis you use a stencil, decal, or something else?
Any questions let me know. On the crossing road markings I masked the stripes and made stencils for the R's on self adhesive label paper and cut them out.

I was asked to explain this so thought I would start a new thread.

That’s some amazing work! I had seen the operating Tyco crossing gates for the trains and thought about modifying those for the road/rail track, but this is on another level.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
The Crossing gates can be done but the drive mechanism normally goes through the table and my tables are too nice to make holes in. I have to look into that, along with a bell and the diesel warning horn toots. I'm glad I don't have gates because I would of smashed one, the dump truck is really fast and it slid by the brake zone and started up again and nailed the train, it was horrendous. and sorta cool I called the Central City Fire Deparment and the Shell Wrecker Service for assistance, they came with lights flashing and bell ringing, not much help after that. I roughed up the paint on that track and cleaned the tires and all is good now.

The Crossing gates can be done but the drive mechanism normally goes through the table and my tables are too nice to make holes in. I have to look into that, along with a bell and the diesel warning horn toots. I'm glad I don't have gates because I would of smashed one, the dump truck is really fast and it slid by the brake zone and started up again and nailed the train, it was horrendous. and sorta cool I called the Central City Fire Deparment and the Shell Wrecker Service for assistance, they came with lights flashing and bell ringing, not much help after that. I roughed up the paint on that track and cleaned the tires and all is good now.

I put my Road/Rail set together and was messing with it a while back, and lost focus and had a truck T-bone the train. Had a catastrophic derailment that shut the city down since.

I’m not sure which is worse, the train crossing debacle, or that darn 3467 Danger Track. I actually knocked the grill off a nice 3902 Red dump truck recently because of it. I now call that 3467 Mike Tycoson. Cause it be knocking MF’s out…

LOl. I don't do those squeeze tracks or railroad crossings without automatic braking. I like to let the trucks go by themselves and watch them, now the train can go too with no danger, need a monorail or something going next. The Danger track can be done like the railroad crossing and one truck would stop when another truck is going through it? Don't ask me how, I just do train crossings, lol.

LOl. I don't do those squeeze tracks or railroad crossings without automatic braking. I like to let the trucks go by themselves and watch them, now the train can go too with no danger, need a monorail or something going next. The Danger track can be done like the railroad crossing and one truck would stop when another truck is going through it? Don't ask me how, I just do train crossings, lol.

Well, seeing what you done, you could easily do it.. Using those optical sensors, and the control and relay you used on the crossing.

Users who are viewing this thread