Old school track and contract cleaning | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Old school track and contract cleaning

• Thread starter Thread starter cuckoo_dawg
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

cuckoo_dawg

Sep 14, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone still use the old school system for cleaning the pick up shoes using a pencil eraser and a coin preferably a quarter to dioxide the track rails? I started doing that with my tyco slot car sets back in 1976 and still do it. The only additional thing is contact cleaner, which back then when pinball machines and shuffle allies operated on copper contacts. Most problematic thing was dirty contacts. But I can't seem to find that stuff anymore does anyone remember? And if so where to get it?

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
Does anyone still use the old school system for cleaning the pick up shoes using a pencil eraser and a coin preferably a quarter to dioxide the track rails? I started doing that with my tyco slot car sets back in 1976 and still do it. The only additional thing is contact cleaner, which back then when pinball machines and shuffle allies operated on copper contacts. Most problematic thing was dirty contacts. But I can't seem to find that stuff anymore does anyone remember? And if so where to get it?
I recently found out about the $0.25 trick, works really good. Although sometimes it looks like a solder or coating gets scraped on some track. I haven’t seen contact cleaner in a long time.

I don’t even clean pickups, after a few laps, the misaligned/raised rail connections wear the contact so the car gets faster every lap.

And welcome to the “Club”! Glad you joined so we can build Mike’s site. This is something we needed for a long time and I’m glad he made it.. if you see this, thanks Mike!

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: cuckoo_dawg
I recently found out about the $0.25 trick, works really good. Although sometimes it looks like a solder or coating gets scraped on some track. I haven’t seen contact cleaner in a long time.

I don’t even clean pickups, after a few laps, the misaligned/raised rail connections wear the contact so the car gets faster every lap.

And welcome to the “Club”! Glad you joined so we can build Mike’s site. This is something we needed for a long time and I’m glad he made it.. if you see this, thanks Mike!
I just recently moved and I was able to see my old toys that I forgot about. I have my original US 1 from 1981 that I got for Christmas that year. So I decided to set up one of my favorite layouts. I will send a picture later, I need my daughter to help me with this. I also found that I have a lot more US 1 stuff that I bought on Ebay over 20 years ago.

I have the elevated log and gravel loaders which have always been my favorite. I have almost everything US 1 except the tow truck and fire truck which wasn't my fancy then. When I get my basement in order I plan on setting up a big US 1 layout with Tyco train sets as well. I have so much ho train stuff too. I will get a pic on later today of my quick layout. By the way I am a truck driver as well and I can honestly say that I pretty much did all of the US 1 stuff and I still haul gravel in both a dump truck and dump trailer. Thanks for welcoming me as well.

I just recently moved and I was able to see my old toys that I forgot about. I have my original US 1 from 1981 that I got for Christmas that year. So I decided to set up one of my favorite layouts. I will send a picture later, I need my daughter to help me with this. I also found that I have a lot more US 1 stuff that I bought on Ebay over 20 years ago.
That’s awesome! I got a set in ‘81 too, but sold it in ‘06 along with all the stuff I got on eBay ‘99-‘04. I started a new collection in ‘17…
I have the elevated log and gravel loaders which have always been my favorite. I have almost everything US 1 except the tow truck and fire truck which wasn't my fancy then. When I get my basement in order I plan on setting up a big US 1 layout with Tyco train sets as well. I have so much ho train stuff too. I will get a pic on later today of my quick layout. By the way I am a truck driver as well and I can honestly say that I pretty much did all of the US 1 stuff and I still haul gravel in both a dump truck and dump trailer. Thanks for welcoming me as well.
The Elevated Gravel Dump 3453 is pretty cool. It was sold retail, but also was in the 3216 Highway Overpass Set. In that set it is paired with the 3461, but it changes number to a 3420-3. The Elevated Log Loader 3416 I don’t much care for. Mainly in that I think repeatedly having the dump sliding across it, it would put wear on the body.

Like you I have everything made for US-1, and in most cases 2 or 3 of each thing, and even 10 or more of other stuff. Exception being the 3434 Airport in the Stomper set, I’ve never been able to get one yet, all I have is the radar dish.

Currently I have 7 sets I want to keep, and 2 I’m trying to sell. I had 13 or 14 at one time. I bought around 25 sets though. I’ve been downsizing because I just had too much of it. I still have another 30 or so accessories not counting what’s in the sets, and 50 to 60 trucks and 45 or so trailers.

I have a 3235 Road &Rail set, and I bought a G.I. Joe train set to add to my 3217 G.I. Joe set.

My Pop was a truck driver too, he started back in 1968. Told a story of how they used to not have safety locks on the belly dumps and they would just dump out a load on the road. He said in the early ‘80’s he drove a truck that didn’t even have floor pans in it, and he was sitting on a milk crate.. LMFAO.. And the double clutching of a 5-4…

I am a semi mechanic, so I’m knowledgeable of the industry.

That’s awesome! I got a set in ‘81 too, but sold it in ‘06 along with all the stuff I got on eBay ‘99-‘04. I started a new collection in ‘17…

The Elevated Gravel Dump 3453 is pretty cool. It was sold retail, but also was in the 3216 Highway Overpass Set. In that set it is paired with the 3461, but it changes number to a 3420-3. The Elevated Log Loader 3416 I don’t much care for. Mainly in that I think repeatedly having the dump sliding across it, it would put wear on the body.

Like you I have everything made for US-1, and in most cases 2 or 3 of each thing, and even 10 or more of other stuff. Exception being the 3434 Airport in the Stomper set, I’ve never been able to get one yet, all I have is the radar dish.

Currently I have 7 sets I want to keep, and 2 I’m trying to sell. I had 13 or 14 at one time. I bought around 25 sets though. I’ve been downsizing because I just had too much of it. I still have another 30 or so accessories not counting what’s in the sets, and 50 to 60 trucks and 45 or so trailers.

I have a 3235 Road &Rail set, and I bought a G.I. Joe train set to add to my 3217 G.I. Joe set.

My Pop was a truck driver too, he started back in 1968. Told a story of how they used to not have safety locks on the belly dumps and they would just dump out a load on the road. He said in the early ‘80’s he drove a truck that didn’t even have floor pans in it, and he was sitting on a milk crate.. LMFAO.. And the double clutching of a 5-4…

Wow, you have alot of stuff, that is neat. I wish I could get more but I have more than enough. I have the airport, but it doesn't fit, in my opinion. Now if it was made for the tractor trailer it would be a great action station. I've thought about how to modify it but don't want to mess it up trying. I did however was able to change the elevated log loader by simply using a gravel unload straight track. So instead of driving by it constantly as you pointed out I put it on a turnout track so I back up to the log loader. I always loved elevated track, but it's a pain in the butt getting a good contract with the track ends,especially on carpeting. I just set this up but have limited space. Later today I will send some more pics.

20230915_133353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a layout that I was able to build within the confines of my little room. I don't have anywhere near the stuff you have. I got my 2 original trucks with the track and power pack and action stations. And I have 12 other trucks and I bought other incomplete sets and have so many tracks and turnouts. I was able to 1 complete set City Hauler starter set with a box and an incomplete Interstate set which I wanted for the box for my original. I use regular Tyco black track with US 1 to simulate how some roadways incorporate concrete and blacktop. I wanted to put on more action stations but don't have the room to.

Hey, did you ever rewind any of the motors for the US1 trucks? I used to rewind the slot car motors to make them faster, but that usually was a death sentence for the motor and sometimes the car itself. I set so many on fire by rewinding. I never did it to a US1 truck. I have alot of Tyco racing sets and of course minus the boxes. I also have my original Dukes of Hazzard racing set, that jumps off a ramp. I don't think that is Tyco though.

When I get my layout set up in the basement I will of course send pictures. That is probably gonna take a couple of months. I have to painstakingly clean each and every piece of track during construction and I know you know how long that will take. I am glad for this site, now I have guys who understand why we 50 plus year olds play with these toys.
20230915_162533.jpg
20230915_162459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did however was able to change the elevated log loader by simply using a gravel unload straight track. So instead of driving by it constantly as you pointed out I put it on a turnout track so I back up to the log loader.
This is absolutely genius! I never thought of putting it under a 3040 single straight track!!

I too enjoy the look of an elevated layout. Only three sets took advantage of this, the 3216 Highway Overpass set (As Tyco made new accessories each year, they would build a set around an accessory, the 3216 showcased the 3453 for ‘82), 3219 Night Haulers (to showcase the 3416 Pine Hill in ‘84), and the Sears catalog 3344 which was a variant of the 3228, but matches the look of the 3219.

Here's a layout that I was able to build within the confines of my little room
Love it!!
I use regular Tyco black track with US 1 to simulate how some roadways incorporate concrete and blacktop.
Another great idea!
Hey, did you ever rewind any of the motors for the US1 trucks?
No, I never tried this. The winding is so thin. I looked and it appears to be connected in 3 or 4 places. I’ve winded wire around steel to make electromagnets and that was hard enough.
When I get my layout set up in the basement I will of course send pictures. That is probably gonna take a couple of months. I have to painstakingly clean each and every piece of track during construction and I know you know how long that will take. I am glad for this site, now I have guys who understand why we 50 plus year olds play with these toys.
Look forward to seeing this. US-1 does take up a lot of space. I put together my 3320 and 3336 sets and they are friggen huge. Those are 9 and 10 accessories respectively.

I was trying to make a cloverleaf interchange thing but I needed a few switchable turn outs I didn’t have. It got too complex so I quit messing with it. Something about maybe the turn outs being like “right handed” and to enable a cloverleaf there would have to be a “left handed” one too.

And I agree about the Airport. Kind of a boring accessory. I get that it was made for the 50 series vehicles, but it’s akin to a NASCAR race lol..

If you never had a 3911 Fire Truck, I’d recommend you try and get one, if anything to just see the engineering marvel it is. There is a video on YouTube that explains it. Under electric trucking 101…

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: cuckoo_dawg
I too have the cloverleaf interchange in mind. I was thinking about how to use the same design that the Tyco train switching track uses. Somehow using the electric pushrod that operates the track to switch on the turnout to move that piece of copper contact that the guide pin slides through.

I have seen one Ebay single lane straight and curved track for the turnouts. I have ideas but I am not good at fabricating parts or really have patience for it.
I did modify the auto loader track for the elevated log loader originally because it had the back stop, but because of room I used the gravel track which was part of a lot of track pieces that I bought on Ebay for very cheap. It was because of that I came up with the idea for the log loader.

Do you remember the commercial for a product called Tarnex I believe, that cleaned silverware and copper craft? It showed dipping a tarnished spoon into the solution and come out completely clean. My mom always had this and I also used it to clean my contact rails and the track rails too. That stuff was the best. I remembered it last night when I was cleaning up track rails.

I too have the cloverleaf interchange in mind. I was thinking about how to use the same design that the Tyco train switching track uses. Somehow using the electric pushrod that operates the track to switch on the turnout to move that piece of copper contact that the guide pin slides through.
There are switchable turn outs that are in the G.I. Joe sets. Trying to move that copper diverter would be a nightmare.
I have seen one Ebay single lane straight and curved track for the turnouts. I have ideas but I am not good at fabricating parts or really have patience for it.
I saw those too. I guess they are 3-D printed or something. I was going to use the 4-way intersection from the black track, a turn out alternating at each lane for the top and a single lane to the same concept for the lower. The switchable turnout where the trucks were driving into it. Then cut either curves or 9” or 15” track in half, remove the rails and heat gun it soft to make curves to match. Would need a matched thickness steel plate bent to the curve diameter to keep the guide rail and contact rails symmetrical. Reinstall the rails and heat a metal scraper to blend and seal connections on the track.
Do you remember the commercial for a product called Tarnex I believe, that cleaned silverware and copper craft? It showed dipping a tarnished spoon into the solution and come out completely clean.
I don’t have a direct memory but I do kinda remember this. I have used Brasso, but not on US-1 stuff. I also used stuff called Metal Polish or something like that.

I was restoring a car and bought this stuff. It was a green liquid. You put metal in it, and it completely removed all the rust and cleaned parts where they looked brand spanking new. I remember putting the brake pedal bracket it it, when I pulled it out it looked like it was just made. I was amazed by this stuff. It didn’t affect paint either. It did mess up a couple trim parts that had lead composition in them though.

Cuckoo_dawg,
What a great idea to place the elevated log loader on the end of a turnout section. Since we have to back up into the log loader anyway why not put it at the on a turnout section. Genius! Thanks for the idea. I'll have to incorporate that into my next build.

• Like/Thanks
I also cut a piece of track for my log loader. I used a broken piece I had from an auto unloader. I want to add a stop sign to the end of it.

Attachments

• Elevated Log Loader.jpg
    Elevated Log Loader.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Like/Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread