Recently aquired - Coast to Coast Haulers set | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Recently aquired - Coast to Coast Haulers set

• Thread starter Thread starter clnilsen
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

clnilsen

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Well ya all got to me :) I saw a coast to coast haulers set on fb marketplace (no box) but complete. I’m going to be getting this up after christmas, but here‘s the teaser pic! I’m actually pretty excited about this. Always wanted one of these sets as a kid, but never got it. excited to get this going!!
IMG_2429.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ya all got to me :) I saw a coast to coast haulers set on fb marketplace (no box) but complete. I’m going to be getting this up after christmas, but here‘s the teaser pic! I’m actually pretty excited about this. Always wanted one of these sets as a kid, but never got it. excited to get this going!!
View attachment 363

Do you have a set content sheet for it? Curious with it being boxless if it’s a 3226, 3320, or 3336..

Finally got some quality time this morning to set up a test loop, and it’s been slow going. The track was mightily corroded, and I was able to mostly clean up, but several tabs broken.
Where I really spent my quality time was the controller….it seems like these have seen better days, but finally after dissassembly and adjustment of the leaf switches inside, was able to reliably get 9.6v on the rails on both directions!

Next came getting one of the trucks going. Again, disassembled and polished contacts with steel wool. I noticed the motor seized up frequently even off the track, so sprayed some deoxit in it and slowly worked it out, now it goes pretty well,but the track situation leaves much to be desired. Despite cleaning, it seems there’s a lot of resistance (mechanical) in some pieces. Again was able to smooth out (raise where needed, lowers where too high) the power rails but some of these pieces may be better off replaced. Tough getting a good clean loop run - one corner is just borked - but much progress has been made today! Hopefully soon can get an accessory going; this set has what I think is everything that came with the original set, as well as some NIB stuff.

oh, and it’s a 3226 set :cool:
IMG_2472.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2464.jpeg
IMG_2465.jpeg
IMG_2466.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
The track looks pretty good, what you have done so far. Always remember its a 40 yr old toy. A survivor if you will.

You can get it all to work like brand new again. Remember it's very low voltage, so it is unforgiving with any connectivity issues. I've had some sets that were really rough that all ran like new after some effort.

I documented my restoration with videos-

Also, I've had a lot of trucks and have never had to spray any of them. They are typically filled with carpet and hair. Use a couple dabs of super lube on the gears and some liquid bearings on the motor shaft ends.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: clnilsen
It looks very clean and in good shape, track connector breaks are very common, the 1/4 curves almost always get funky looking, nice set. That voltage seems pretty high for US-1? They never made one that went that high. I'm running the AFX Tripower power packs at 8 volts, one for each lane, and the trucks gets hairy on the curves, wipe out sometimes, trailers fall over. At 12 volts the trucks sound like they're doing a Neil Young electric guitar solo and hardly have to use any sweep of the controller. :D At 22 volts they would probably do a screeching death dance and explode in flames, it would be cool. :ROFLMAO:

It looks very clean and in good shape, track connector breaks are very common, the 1/4 curves almost always get funky looking, nice set. That voltage seems pretty high for US-1? They never made one that went that high. I'm running the AFX Tripower power packs at 8 volts, one for each lane, and the trucks gets hairy on the curves, wipe out sometimes, trailers fall over. At 12 volts the trucks sound like they're doing a Neil Young electric guitar solo and hardly have to use any sweep of the controller. :D At 22 volts they would probably do a screeching death dance and explode in flames, it would be cool. :ROFLMAO:

I hooked up a 13.9 VDC @ 3 amp AC to DC converter to a terminal and just coming off the bump the truck was whining like a Hellcat supercharger at WOT.

Then I turned the wheel full right. The truck then sounded like a solid lifter cammed engine being over revved on a mis-shift and doing some valve float. It was a 3935 truck and the light was so bright it could warn ships.

I’m very curious to see what 22 volts would do…

Users who are viewing this thread