Replacing riveted pick up shoes? | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Replacing riveted pick up shoes?

• Thread starter Thread starter AMH1955
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Can the riveted pick up shoes be replaced by drilling out the rivet and using the original type screws or ?.
I just noticed a few vehicles with riveted shoes online and wondering what the deal is.
Thanks
riveted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I avoid the riveted ones altogether. So far, I have not heard anyone talk about drilling them out.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the things aren't meant to be replaced, the only thing riveted to my full scale old car is the VIN tag.
I'm sure it can be done but just better off avoiding them as said.
I just wonder what the guys do that have had them since they were kids and want to keep an old friend running.

I get it now that I got the tune up kit with the items I purchased off Facebook. I never had one apart to see those pieces parts. It looks like you could use those to make it a screw on shoe chassis maybe. It wouldn't be worth opening the package to me though, lol.
20231119_152110.jpg
20231119_152138.jpg

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
I get it now that I got the tune up kit with the items I purchased off Facebook. I never had one apart to see those pieces parts. It looks like you could use those to make it a screw on shoe chassis maybe. It wouldn't be worth opening the package to me though, lol.

:)
The plates are very useful and guide pins!

I have some input on this since having tried it. #1 You have to source the nuts that go in the chassis. #2 Drill out the rivets without melting the chassis. #3 Once you have accomplished both, you will find the nuts will not fit in the chassis or the copper tabs that contact the motor. So I would take @biddle's advice and avoid these chassis' . Find a donor.

Users who are viewing this thread