Sears Catalog S3302Q Set discovered! | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Sears Catalog S3302Q Set discovered!

• Thread starter Thread starter Tyco Trucking
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
This popped up on eBay. It’s a Sears catalog S3302Q set. AFAIK Sears didn’t even sell US-1 in their 1981 catalog but this set counters that idea. Maybe the catalog I found online was a spring/summer one and there was a fall/winter one that had them, IDK.

But regardless this is a Sears catalog version of the 3205 Cross County set. Tyco was known to typo the name as the Cross Country set.

In my research I’ve never seen this set and never knew it existed until this popped up on eBay. The content sheet code places it in the 1981 series of paperwork, along with the ‘81 version of the assembly instructions.

Interestingly, the trucks have the standard painted body and brown gears and blades of ‘81 vintage, yet the trailer is plain with no “black dot”, as well as the 3010 being separate with a switch but has no lines painted on it.

It’s mind blowing to find these obscure and unknown items. Makes you wonder what else is out there yet to be found…
BD9EE9AC-311F-45EB-AF83-4FBB796C1268.jpeg

VTG 1981 TYCO US 1 ELECTRIC TRUCKING THE BIG CITY SLOT CAR SET BOX ,test WORKS! _ eBay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought it, it’s posted as a Big City set. No way I was going to not own this set, lol.. That’s a 1983 book and they had the 3201, 3311 and the 7 station set (like a 3215 but looks similar to Montgomery Ward’s 48 T 21745 Long Haul, it uses a different layout than the 3215) in 1982 but nothing was in the 1981 catalog. Except this set disproves that so IDK what Sears catalog it would be in.

Here is the content sheet, I had messaged them to get a pic of it. That’s how I confirmed it’s an ‘81 set by the sheet number. I was confused because the track is plain, so again I’m disproved in my knowledge that all ‘81 sets have painted track. The controls prove that. I’m constantly learning on this stuff…

What’s both funny and irritating is these resellers having absolutely no clue at all about anything US-1 related except that “cOmPlETeD lIsTiNg PrIcEs” look like gold to them so everything gets “ThE MiDaS TOuCh”. I offered $100 and they wouldn’t take it cause some of the set will have to be replaced and some stuff is missing to restore it. I did get a discount, but as usual still way overpaid for it. I’m glad to see a saturation point and some of it getting cheaper and cheaper, but you still got many retards going balls out with prices and screaming “ReEeEe” when you submit a reasonable off, but they feel they are low balled to bottom dollar. I’m not trying to finance your dumb ass kids failure through college.

I guess it’s good that not all ‘81 sets have painted track cause I wasn’t looking forward to trying to find all that.

Attachments

• BA65E628-2D73-48B5-BF0B-7D83069DB7D7.jpeg
    BA65E628-2D73-48B5-BF0B-7D83069DB7D7.jpeg
    809.2 KB · Views: 40
I bought it, it’s posted as a Big City set. No way I was going to not own this set, lol.. That’s a 1983 book and they had the 3201, 3311 and the 7 station set (like a 3215 but looks similar to Montgomery Ward’s 48 T 21745 Long Haul, it uses a different layout than the 3215) in 1982 but nothing was in the 1981 catalog. Except this set disproves that so IDK what Sears catalog it would be in.

Here is the content sheet, I had messaged them to get a pic of it. That’s how I confirmed it’s an ‘81 set by the sheet number. I was confused because the track is plain, so again I’m disproved in my knowledge that all ‘81 sets have painted track. The controls prove that. I’m constantly learning on this stuff…

What’s both funny and irritating is these resellers having absolutely no clue at all about anything US-1 related except that “cOmPlETeD lIsTiNg PrIcEs” look like gold to them so everything gets “ThE MiDaS TOuCh”. I offered $100 and they wouldn’t take it cause some of the set will have to be replaced and some stuff is missing to restore it. I did get a discount, but as usual still way overpaid for it.
A smaller market for this type set, even with enthusiasts like myself. I have no interest in those Sears sets because the box artwork is so amazing on some of the sets!

A smaller market for this type set, even with enthusiasts like myself. I have no interest in those Sears sets because the box artwork is so amazing on some of the sets!
That’s exactly what I told the seller in my message. These sets don’t sell well because of the plain boxes. However, I’d rather have this set as any number of retail sets as it could very well be the only one in existence. I’ve only seen 2 3320’s and a few 3336’s, and a couple 3344’s. I’m hoping to run across a Montgomery Wards Fire Alert/Motor City mash up set, that would be a sweet addition. All my sets just sit in a closet anyway, so the box art has little to no bearing as far as collecting.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
That’s exactly what I told the seller in my message. These sets don’t sell well because of the plain boxes. However, I’d rather have this set as any number of retail sets as it could very well be the only one in existence. I’ve only seen 2 3320’s and a few 3336’s, and a couple 3344’s. I’m hoping to run across a Montgomery Wards Fire Alert/Motor City mash up set, that would be a sweet addition. All my sets just sit in a closet anyway, so the box art has little to no bearing as far as collecting.
The only way you could have got a better deal is to wait it out and risk someone else buying it. I recently paid up for A Highway Wrecker set in very good condition 999.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145232769521

Then just a few days later found TWO sets for 399 and one of them is a Highway Wrecker set and upon closer examination, realized it had the shell sign and phone booth new in the package!

The only way you could have got a better deal is to wait it out and risk someone else buying it. I recently paid up for A Highway Wrecker set in very good condition 999.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145232769521

Then just a few days later found TWO sets for 399 and one of them is a Highway Wrecker set and upon closer examination, realized it had the shell sign and phone booth new in the package!
OMG Mike, why would you pay $1,000 for that set??!? I had a hard time paying the $750 each for the two I got, one didn’t even have the box. It’s not even that great of a set TBH. Only four stations, half being the 3420. I just got caught up knowing the rarity of it, after I bought them they been popping up left and right lately. And then paying so much for them I don’t even wanna play with them, I never even tried the garage or phone booth to even see them work. I have like 4 3444’s and 2 3443’s and a few wreckers.

I did see that double set auction for $399 w/ the Wrecker set. And the price is right. Like that sealed 3214 on that’s pretty cheap. As I said in an earlier comment I’m glad this stuff is bottoming out in price finally. Just too bad I’m $25,000 into it already…

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
OMG Mike, why would you pay $1,000 for that set??!? I had a hard time paying the $750 each for the two I got, one didn’t even have the box.
One in lesser condition sold for 1300+tax+shipping.

The condition of this one is fantastic and it has all the original papers from inside. It even has the ToysRUs price sticker that looks like they just put it on yesterday! At the end of the day, I bought both of my sets for less than you paid for two, right?

I don't think anything is bottoming out; it's the off-season. I could list that highway wrecker set at 1500.00 at Christmas and quickly sell it. Only two have been for sale this year on eBay, and I bought them both. LOL

Last edited:
The condition of this one is fantastic and it has all the original papers from inside. It even has the ToysRUs price sticker that looks like they just put it on yesterday! At the end of the day, I bought both of my sets for less than you paid for two, right?
I ain’t sure, I got $1,500 into two of them. One was just the parts if I remember right. I was just happy to be able to get a phone booth, lol. The boxed set I got was perfect condition. Of course every set you buy should have all four sheets plus all accessory instructions. But more often than not they don’t.
I don't think anything is bottoming out; it's the off-season. I could list that highway wrecker set at 1500.00 at Christmas and quickly sell it. Only two have been for sale this year on eBay, and I bought them both. LOL
Well, a Big City set sold for $75, most common trucks are below $40, and in some cases below $30, sealed accessories are at $40 or less. Sealed trailers for under $40. Of course there are the scalpers pricing stuff in the stratosphere, but is sure ain’t selling. I’ve been buying this stuff on eBay since 1999. Go to filters on eBay and do completed but not sold and it will show everything that ended.

I remember there being at least four of the 3213’s posted in the last 2 years, I bought my non-box set, then that record priced one you did the video on, then the box set I got cause you referenced it in your video, if you bought 2 this year, then the $399 deal just posted. I took a hiatus for a few months cause I’m at super saturation but that would make 6 in two years.

Like you pointed out the 2 3443’s sealed popping up. The 3444’s are always posted. Heck, I have a 3235 Road and Rail set I bought way back in 2017 and I’ve only seen two more posted since, and one was recent and sealed. The other one was garbage. The one I bought also had the 3320 set I have with it and I paid $400, both were unused.

I checked the 1981 wishbook catalog from Sears again, and found that 3302 set there, hidden in with the HO scale train items. The slot car items are several pages deeper so I didn’t check the actual pages but just looked at the thumbnails. Saw trains and scrolled on by. But, there it is, and it is the only set they offered in 1981.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the 1981 wishbook catalog from Sears again, and found that 3302 set there, hidden in with the HO scale train items. The slot car items are several pages deeper so I didn’t check the actual pages but just looked at the thumbnails. Saw trains and scrolled on by. But, there it is, and it is the only set they offered in 1981.
Here's the full-size image courtesy of Ecommerce Muse Technical.

0634.JPG

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking

Users who are viewing this thread