Track Markings and Origin | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Track Markings and Origin

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
A preliminary bit of info on the track and Country of Origin markings.

6C556DF3-FE17-4D6C-8F2E-0B281127977D.jpeg

This is a 3706 9”R 1/8 (as I’ve said before, there is no known 30## for this track piece, so I use the retail number). It is a lined first gen. It has a raised panel with an origin of HK. Notice the pier lugs. Smaller than typical and not necessarily compatible with the 7849, 7850, or 7851.

00B0F4FD-7FF9-42A1-816E-D464BF0EFF5E.jpeg

Here are four examples of the 3016 9” turn-out. The bottom one is made in the US. The other three are HK, and have different ways that the origin was projected. The US made example is lined.

9DB36D62-3DB4-40AA-964B-05C806BB0625.jpeg

Similarly here are three examples of a 3012 9” straight. All have wildly different origin markings. All are HK, and unlined.

The 9”R 1/4” 3014’s I have either were US made with lines, or HK or US made without. I would have assumed the US made parts were all lined, but the fact the one 3014 was plain negates that. Of the couple dozen I checked they all followed the same origin markings respectively. There is a difference in the tabs, as discussed below.

A8326795-A40A-440C-97AF-D4CA0CD4A4B7.jpeg

Here are four 3016 turn-outs. Each varies in how the tab release instructions are cast/molded. I’d like to call attention the the one furthest right. It has no writing.

I mentioned the tabs and the print because I noticed this when rearranging parts in sets to put all my best parts in my most valuable sets. I had mixed examples and it kinda triggered an OCD moment.

I find this stuff interesting, and it is fun to imagine what was going on in the production plants that were churning this stuff out by the ton.

Knowing a bit about injection molding, there are plates/molds that are put together, and liquid plastic is injected into the mold at moderate high pressure. The molds are then released, and the product is sent to its next process.

There are divots on the track top where it was released, with possibly a small sprag that was broken off. On the bottom is a bump and this is more than likely where the plastic was injected at.

Just speculating, but I’d say there were two molds, top and bottom. The bottom mold was fixed, and it made the top of the track. The top mold was lowered down and the plastic was injected. It would then lift off and two extractor pins would eject the track out of the lower mold, which probably tilted 90 degrees to let the track slide down a chute where the rails would be installed. You can see on the rail bottom where a notch was pressed into the rail so it would not easily come out of its slot.

Also, the 6”, 9”, 15” straight, squeeze track, 9R 1/4, 9R 1/8, 12R 1/8, and lane changer all have 58## item numbers as these are all molds from their black racing sets. There were no US-1 specific molds for this track.

The terminal tracks (3010/3025), turn-out (3016), 3445/3456 base (3018), 3040 single lane, and both double turn-outs (3031/3032) do not have 58##’s because these are all US-1 specific. Any other accessory uses it’s item number, i.e. 3440 for the dump bin base. Interestingly the 3475 G.I. Joe rocket base is built off a modified 3440 base, and it uses both 3440 and 3475 item numbers.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: biddle
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Spent a couple hours cataloging the mold numbers on 183 pieces of track.
I suppose I should change my handle to Useless Info, cause I know most people don’t care about this, but there always has to be that one “thinks he knows it all” person.. that’s me.. lmfao…

The jist of this bit ‘o info is to maybe cohesively restore a set with similar track that matches. Considering a few of my sets are “worth” $300+, with a couple being $700+, I want to have a properly date coded set as complete as possible.

So the info will follow a format of mold number, tab style, and whether it has the release instructions on the track or not, and where it was made.

Hollow tab means there is a U-shaped hollow locking wedge, whereas solid means the catch is, well, a solid wedge.

From what I gathered lower numbers represent older track, verified by a late gen 3430 I opened and what mold number was on the T/O in it, with that being a #7.

So here is what I got:

3011 6” straight checked 11 of them
#1 solid tab, w/ script, made in HK
#2 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#3 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
Molds 1&2 are interchangeable

3012 9” straight checked 23 of them
#3 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
#4 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
#5 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#6 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#7 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
#8 hollow tab, w/ script, HK

3&4, 5&6, 7&8 can be interchanged, although the type facing on the script is different for each group of two.

3013 15” straight checked 19 of them
#1 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#2 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#3 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#4 solid tab, w/ script, HK

These can all be interchanged with no visual difference.

3017 Road & Rail checked 2 of them
No mold number, solid tab w/ script, no country of origin…

3039 lane changer checked 6 of them
#1 solid tab, w/ script, HK

3030 switchable turn out checked 4 of them
No mold number, hollow tab, no script, all made in HK. Two differences noted were that of the four I have, there was three different switch colors, being dark brown, light brown, and a reddish brown. Also the pins that secured the plate under the switch were either solid or seemingly hollow.

3016 turn-out checked 59 of them
#1 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
#2 hollow tab, w/ script, HK
#3 hollow tab, no script, HK
#4 hollow tab, no script, HK
#5 hollow tab, no script, HK
#6 hollow tab, no script, HK
#7 hollow tab, no script, HK, this track mold has the underside writing 180 degrees out. Kind of strange..
#1 hollow tab, w/ script, US
#3 hollow tab, no script, US
#4 hollow tab, no script, US

Odd that all turn-out’s have hollow tabs. Only the earliest two molds have script. One of only a couple track pieces with US made versions.

3014 9R 1/4 checked 51 of them
#3 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#4 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#7 solid tab, no script, HK
#8 solid tab, no script, HK
#10 solid tab, w/ script, HK
#12 solid tab, no script, HK
#17 hollow tab, no script, HK
#18 hollow tab, no script, HK
#1 solid tab, w/ script, US
#2 solid tab, w/ script, US

By far the 9R 1/4 has more mold numbers than Carter has liver pills. Most have solid tabs. Like all other track the consecutive pair mold numbers can be interchanged.

9R 1/8 checked 8 of them
#1 solid tab, no script, HK
#2 solid tab, no script, HK
Interchangeable with no visual issues

I didn’t do the 12R 1/8, or any striped track, although I have all of them to check, but figured they are all the same regardless.

As I said, it’s more useless info unless you want to restore a high value set. But even then it’s going to pull big bucks regardless. I just enjoy this stuff and like exploring all facets of it. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk…

Last edited:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
Mike Raffa

Mike Raffa

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
I’d like to know when the yellow stripes first appeared back in the 80s and what sets included them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread