Tyco Chassis Compatibility | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Tyco Chassis Compatibility

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I know the US-1 chassis are Tyco wide pan size. just trying to get an idea of what other chassis are the wide type and what other Tyco bodies have been tried on US-1 and fit or don't. I think HP-7, 440X2, Command Control and Curvehugger work if I'm looking at them right. I was reading somewhere that there are short and long US-1 chassis?, all mine are the same?

I was checking out the Smith's Tire truck I just got and the reason it has the textured higher bed cover is that it's a part of the truck, higher than the slightly lower regular bed to allow for motor and weight clearance. There is one Tyco Chevy pickup (#6962) with the same body as the Smith's truck that will work, nothing else will fit without surgery to the bed and cutting down the rear weight and fabricating a bed cover. I think the Stomper trucks have the lower bed or do they?, but they sit up off the chassis from what I've seen so no clearance problems. The 6962 is number one in rarity in the Esposito guide and the Smith's Chevy number two but I've seen the 6962 go for 50 t0 100 bucks, no US-1 added value. I have a 6962 but would never strip the paint then paint it hemi orange with black doors and hood, if it was the last resort and there wasn't another Smith's truck available on planet Earth I surely would....then I'd sell it. 😁

suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
This is just my opinion. But here goes. I think Tyco was looking for a way to reuse Command Control bodies and other pieces and parts. Command Control was a huge failure. Aurora had a much better slot-less track in the Speed Steer series. I had 2 Command Command sets growing up and they were both junk. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong. So all of the Command Control bodies that I have tried have fit, excluding the Chevy pickup. One thing to note is the rear weight. There is a low profile and a high profile. The low profile is for car type bodies. The high profile is for Dump trucks and vans. The amount of NOS Command Control stuff out there still to this day is incredible. Back to what I said about failure. Albeit some of it listed as TCR which there is a difference between the two. Most sellers think if it is slot-less its TCR.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
07298AC7-F19F-4B65-89AC-A371D846F3C3.jpeg

Rear of a Valvoline body and a reverse 3903. The Valvoline body fits, the other doesn’t. I noticed taking the pic the detail in the back was cut off.

71033F90-ED77-475F-83AD-764FE00E277C.jpeg
C058BB7E-DA19-44AC-8663-4F117FE74955.jpeg
2EA1AAFD-F8B3-4749-98B7-A115DA1CA047.jpeg
11D3A8B9-FE65-42DF-BA8E-78FBD531F83F.jpeg

Here is a Stomper chassis and a dump/vehicle chassis comparison.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: AMH1955
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
The stomper chassis is a breed of its own.

I’m laughing at the left rear tire that has worn more than the right. I was at a flea market hot lapping that thing while reducing the fleet, and it was on the outside loop so it checks out!

AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, good info. I do a see a lot of the Command Control stuff around, especially that red maintenance van. I think the cop car, Smith's truck and the airport taxi are all Command Control bodies, or Command Control 2 with the steering front wheels? They have that huge wheel opening in front for wheel clearance I think.
I have an update on the regular Chevy truck fitment, it can be easily done if you're careful. I worked on it today, I was ready to cut out the bed but with some measuring figured if I could thin out the plastic enough on the bottom of the bed above the motor it may just be enough. I scraped it with a small flat chisel type x-acto knife blade and kept checking it until it finally fit, took some time. I did just above the motor and a little above the weight. The weight had to be filed down to be level with the motor then just a little more so it wouldn't touch the bed, it only clears by a hair but a miss is worth a mile. The bed cover doesn't need to be there now but I made one anyway out of mystery textured plastic I had in my scraps, like that look more. The one pic shows the differences between the typical type chassis Chevy stepside truck and the Smith's truck body. The wheel opening is way bigger in front and the four header pipes turn into two as part of the opening enlargement, you could do that to the non CC truck f you wanted to I guess.

20240101_145628.jpg20240101_145946.jpg20240101_145851.jpg20240101_150921.jpg20240101_151336.jpg20240101_151655.jpg20240101_150245.jpg

Attachments

• 20240101_150216.jpg
    20240101_150216.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
View attachment 440

Rear of a Valvoline body and a reverse 3903. The Valvoline body fits, the other doesn’t. I noticed taking the pic the detail in the back was cut off.

View attachment 441View attachment 442View attachment 443View attachment 444

Here is a Stomper chassis and a dump/vehicle chassis comparison.
I cut the notch in the white & red truck bigger with a hobby knife.
Thanks for the replies, good info. I do a see a lot of the Command Control stuff around, especially that red maintenance van. I think the cop car, Smith's truck and the airport taxi are all Command Control bodies, or Command Control 2 with the steering front wheels? They have that huge wheel opening in front for wheel clearance I think.
I have an update on the regular Chevy truck fitment, it can be easily done if you're careful. I worked on it today, I was ready to cut out the bed but with some measuring figured if I could thin out the plastic enough on the bottom of the bed above the motor it may just be enough. I scraped it with a small flat chisel type x-acto knife blade and kept checking it until it finally fit, took some time. I did just above the motor and a little above the weight. The weight had to be filed down to be level with the motor then just a little more so it wouldn't touch the bed, it only clears by a hair but a miss is worth a mile. The bed cover doesn't need to be there now but I made one anyway out of mystery textured plastic I had in my scraps, like that look more. The one pic shows the differences between the typical type chassis Chevy stepside truck and the Smith's truck body. The wheel opening is way bigger in front and the four header pipes turn into two as part of the opening enlargement, you could do that to the non CC truck f you wanted to I guess.

View attachment 456View attachment 457View attachment 462View attachment 459View attachment 460View attachment 461View attachment 465
Very Cool!

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 32
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
I cut the notch in the white & red truck bigger with a hobby knife.

Very Cool!

I just filed the catches off the chassis. There is surely a 1/16 to 3/32 difference in the two. I have the black with silver stripe truck as well, but it’s like brand new with I think a 440 chassis. I just couldn’t bring myself to switch it.

If you weren’t aware there is a train catalog website, it has like every train manufacturer ever on it. There is a slot car section and it has all the Tyco catalogs from ‘60’s through the mid-late 80’s.

Users who are viewing this thread