US1 Trucking Scale & distance | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

US1 Trucking Scale & distance

• Thread starter Thread starter Tyco Trucking
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
I had been wondering for a while about the actual “mileage” of a layout.

I know US-1 is basically H0 scale, which related to being “Half 0” scale. I knew H0 scale is 1:87. Although it’s apparent not everything is in this scale, example being a 3956 Firebird compared to the cars the Car Transport uses.

My research said that H0 breaks down to 3.5mm per foot. Why it uses metric and imperial in the same formula IDK. I figured it just meant 1 “unit of measure” in scale equaled 87 “units of measure” in real life. But I digress…

So for this example I just used inches, and then converted that to feet. So:

A 9”R 1/4 circle has a real world length of 77’ on the inner and 93-3/4’ on the outer.

A 9”R 1/8 circle has a 39’ distance on the inner, and 47’ on the outer.

A 6” straight equals 43.5’ in real life, while a 9” straight is 65.25’, and the 15” straight covers 108.75’.

The 12”R 1/8 circle is around 55’ and 64’.

I measured the wheelbase of a chassis and it was 12.23 ft. While this may work for a semi day cab, I’m not sure a ‘68 Charger or a ‘78 Firebird had a 12’ wheelbase, lol.

So, it seems the scale is more for the track, and the slots may be more 1:64 scale.

With all that said, as an example, the 3219 Night Haulers would have a real world distance of 1,338.75 feet, or just a tad over a 1/4 mile.

That's some big crate boxes lol.
20231004_105557.jpg

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking

Users who are viewing this thread