Vintage Tyco US1 Trucking 6.9V Wall Power Pack 3001 3760 vs. AFX Tri Power Pack 22045 | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Vintage Tyco US1 Trucking 6.9V Wall Power Pack 3001 3760 vs. AFX Tri Power Pack 22045

• Thread starter Thread starter biddle
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

biddle

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
The factory power pack is normally only 6.9v. With little effort you can upgrade to a modern AFX power back and make your trucks very responsible evne on the power back low setting of 8v. It has three levels 8v,12v, and 22v. 12v is enough to wreck the trucks and don't even try 22v!

You can find new/used ones on eBay- https://ebay.us/3gORGr and sometimes on Amazon- https://amzn.to/3AT1jbs

I use a Tyco model train power pack and set the throttle to whatever point level makes the trucks traverse all around my layout. I am not racing these, so I am really after more voltage to get reliable running at the other end of the tracks. I do use drop downs as well for better conductivity. But, soldering to the metal under the track doesn't seem to hold well.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Tyco Trucking
I just recently did this upgrade to my set. The only thing I did differently was I did use solder on the wires before using electrical tape. The upgrade made quite the difference.

I just recently did this upgrade to my set. The only thing I did differently was I did use solder on the wires before using electrical tape. The upgrade made quite the difference.
I decided not to solder mine in case I sell the ATX pack. So far the electrical tape has done the job.

mvdechaine, are you saying that your soldered drop downs held well? How?
Basically I did the same attachment you see at around the 2 min mark of the above video. I dropped a couple of drops of melted solder on either side and once cooled I went a head and covered them up with Tape just like in the video. Basically just added 2 drops on either side to make them each a little more secured.

• Like/Thanks
mvdechaine, are you saying that your soldered drop downs held well? How?
FWIW, I didn't use solder and mine has never had a problem in 9+ months. I do have a solder gun but since the tape worked didn't bother.

Thanks for your replies. I was meaning soldering to the track rails from underneath rather than to a transformer. The solder just doesn't hold well. Maybe my 60/40 solder id not the right type.

• Like/Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread