Bought a Tyco Chevy Goodyear 8 Ball Pickup Truck | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Bought a Tyco Chevy Goodyear 8 Ball Pickup Truck

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Mike Raffa

Mike Raffa

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
I just bought a Vintage HTF Tyco HO Chevy Pickup Truck Goodyear 8 Ball Tyco Slot Car AFX on eBay https://ebay.us/nL2xSr
because it looks great. The seller mentioned in the ad that it had been tested and runs on this seller’s track. I didn’t bother to message the Seller if this Pickup was compatible with Tyco US-1 Electric Trucking because I assumed it would run on my track. Well it doesn’t. If I lift up the back of it while it’s on my track with power, it works. Once I put it down, it doesn’t. I messaged the seller about this and, although returns are not accepted, I can return it. I like the looks of this Pickup Truck a lot and can’t decide whether or not to return it. It was expensive. So I’m reaching out to you guys for suggestions and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
I just bought a Vintage HTF Tyco HO Chevy Pickup Truck Goodyear 8 Ball Tyco Slot Car AFX on eBay https://ebay.us/nL2xSr
because it looks great. The seller mentioned in the ad that it had been tested and runs on this seller’s track. I didn’t bother to message the Seller if this Pickup was compatible with Tyco US-1 Electric Trucking because I assumed it would run on my track. Well it doesn’t. If I lift up the back of it while it’s on my track with power, it works. Once I put it down, it doesn’t. I messaged the seller about this and, although returns are not accepted, I can return it. I like the looks of this Pickup Truck a lot and can’t decide whether or not to return it. It was expensive. So I’m reaching out to you guys for suggestions and advice.
Theoretically this truck should work on your US-1 track.

19739AC0-98BC-49FE-A79F-1AE4A3C91ED0.jpeg

The big difference with these HP-7 chassis is that they have no rear guide pin, so you cannot reverse it. Also with the smaller pickups, you would have to set it on a piece of track as if running it and make sure the pickups are engaging the rails.

5DCD1D38-64D6-49F5-ABFC-5BADCAE68DA5.jpeg

You want to make sure the green arrows, which are the hinge points for the pickup, have continuity to the motor. The strips going into the motor are where it gets it’s flow. I’m not 100% about the power flow on these other than what I posted.

The red arrow points to the gear, which isn’t a worm gear, but is called a crown gear. Looking at that pic it does seem used, given the nice look of the body. But, make sure the teeth on the motor gear aren’t stripped. The yellow arrow I think is a spacer to ensure the motor gear doesn’t slip out of the axle crown gear.

Generally I don’t know a whole lot about these chassis, being HP-7. I have had a few but I never worked on them much. I have the cars for the “Sparkin’ Hot Rods” set and those work on my US-1 track. I think this 8-ball truck has different locks for the chassis and do not have the slots needed for the US-1 chassis. I can’t remember the Smiths truck and it’s put away so I didn’t grab it to check. So I don’t think you can do a chassis swap, easily, anyway..

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: Mike Raffa
AMH1955

AMH1955

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
That's a cool truck, nice, I was checking it out too. All the Tyco Chevy stepsides are pretty scarce it seems. I think that's a HP-2 Curve Hugger chassis? I have the exact same chassis with a Chevy stepside pick-up truck body on it and run it all the time on my track, just cruises around fast. It has a plastic guide blade and not a pin but not much different from original US-1 and works fine. Make sure the track and shoes are clean, let it warm up some before setting it down, otherwise as said above. That body with the recessed bed won't fit on a US-1 Chassis without modification, it will fit the chassis but the underside of the bed hits the motor but can be made to fit, but I wouldn't touch that truck. I modified one a while back and posted it, have to finish the paint on that thing. Of the regular Tyco minus Stompers the Smith's Tire truck, and #6962 #7 Chevy pick-up are the only ones that will fit on a US-1 chassis, same bodies. I like running the regular cars too, no backing up but make nice traffic, gets lonely out on that open road, lol.

• Like/Thanks
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can buy “pick up shoes” for this truck?
eBay.. ironically there are parts for the HP-2/7 (I thought they were HP-7, but AHM said HP-2 so IDK..) chassis all over eBay. Mint NOS everything.. and it’s pretty cheap.. same with 440 and 440x2.. only thing not in “coming out your a$$” abundance is the US-1 stuff.. go figure.. How about that tune up kit for $150!!!! 🙄

I’ve never used them, but there is that slotcarcentral site also..

Mike Raffa

Mike Raffa

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Theoretically this truck should work on your US-1 track.

View attachment 755

The big difference with these HP-7 chassis is that they have no rear guide pin, so you cannot reverse it. Also with the smaller pickups, you would have to set it on a piece of track as if running it and make sure the pickups are engaging the rails.

View attachment 754

You want to make sure the green arrows, which are the hinge points for the pickup, have continuity to the motor. The strips going into the motor are where it gets it’s flow. I’m not 100% about the power flow on these other than what I posted.

The red arrow points to the gear, which isn’t a worm gear, but is called a crown gear. Looking at that pic it does seem used, given the nice look of the body. But, make sure the teeth on the motor gear aren’t stripped. The yellow arrow I think is a spacer to ensure the motor gear doesn’t slip out of the axle crown gear.

Generally I don’t know a whole lot about these chassis, being HP-7. I have had a few but I never worked on them much. I have the cars for the “Sparkin’ Hot Rods” set and those work on my US-1 track. I think this 8-ball truck has different locks for the chassis and do not have the slots needed for the US-1 chassis. I can’t remember the Smiths truck and it’s put away so I didn’t grab it to check. So I don’t think you can do a chassis swap, easily, anyway..
It looks like the “pick up shoes” are in place, but loose and don’t seem to make proper continuity with the motor. I’m guessing these are the problem.
eBay.. ironically there are parts for the HP-2/7 (I thought they were HP-7, but AHM said HP-2 so IDK..) chassis all over eBay. Mint NOS everything.. and it’s pretty cheap.. same with 440 and 440x2.. only thing not in “coming out your a$$” abundance is the US-1 stuff.. go figure.. How about that tune up kit for $150!!!! 🙄

I’ve never used them, but there is that slotcarcentral site also..
This is a photo of the “pickup shoes” I want to buy. If anyone knows where on eBay they’re available, let me know with a title of these or a seller. I’m looking, but haven’t had luck for these specifically.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
Tyco Trucking

Tyco Trucking

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
It looks like the “pick up shoes” are in place, but loose and don’t seem to make proper continuity with the motor. I’m guessing these are the problem.

This is a photo of the “pickup shoes” I want to buy. If anyone knows where on eBay they’re available, let me know with a title of these or a seller. I’m looking, but haven’t had luck for these specifically.

There is a tiny spring, I believe, between the shoe and the chassis, or in that hinge area (think of something like a close pin spring, but a bit different). It ensures the pickup has tension to keep it against the rail.

The best search you can do is just “Tyco slot car”, that will bring up maybe 20,000 items, but, since some people don’t exactly know what they are selling, that gives the best chance to see everything.

In my experience, most of these “whatever slot car that is” parts were in lots, with maybe 10 of each in them. I know I’ve seen rims/tires, complete rear axle sets, motors, gears, pickups, and chassis. Also complete tune up kits with just about all those parts in one listing.

Just do that search, refine to 200 items a page, and start scrolling. By the time you get to page 20 and skimmed 4,000 items I bet you’ll find them.

Also, there is a lot more of a knowledge base centered on the HP and 440 cars. People actually race those and it has a MUCH larger fan base than US-1.

You’ll do well to just do some research and figure out the info. I am not particularly into that side of Tyco, and I’ve found a lot of info just trying to find US-1 info. Which there wasn’t any, so I started making it myself…

• Like/Thanks
suprb6970

suprb6970

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I know this thread is a little old now. But here is my input. The HP2 chassis suffers for old age. The rear pinion gear strips very easy from being old and brittle. It is not replaceable with other gears. Same with US1 chassis. The gears are made just for those chassis. The pick up shoes are hard to replace with out breaking them. My suggestion is to place the chassis with a HP7 or 440. Both HP7 and 440 chassis are cheap and plentiful.

Users who are viewing this thread