Set Restoration Help | TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking Slot Cars Discussion Forum Club

Set Restoration Help

• Thread starter Thread starter MegablasterX
  • Start date Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!

MegablasterX

Dec 29, 2023
Visit site
Hello, can I get some advice on a few problems I am having.

I have just got my hands on my first set. As I am in the UK this was quite difficult to do at a reasonable cost.
IMG_20240125_195443_049.jpg

Anyway, I am really happy with it, but I have a few issues I need to fix / deal with.

First, my articulated truck struggles to run. After opening I noticed that one of the gears is cracked, do people know if that would be the issue or is there something else on top of the cracked gears.
IMG_20240125_195937_639.jpg

Another issue is a number of track is damaged with deformed or broken track and on my controller 1 of the rails is broken where it would connect to other track. Can I fix these or is this track broken and need replacing.
IMG_20240125_200018_491.jpg

The last issue is I know the tyres need replacing, but being in Britton I cannot buy the tyres recommended on the website. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use as replacements or anyway to get these replacements.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it

Check out the videos page that covers all the topics on track and truck restoration-

Replacement tires and track are here. The ones listed there are the only ones available, so you need to message the seller and ask them if they will ship to the UK. I will message them and ask.

Also, a side note: someone in the UK told me they put those resistors on the motor in the UK to help with something the cars could interfere with TV's in the 1980's. I heated the solder and removed it from mine, although I am in the USA where they never had that in the first place. I don't think it really matters though.

UK-version.jpg

Last edited:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: MegablasterX
Hey Mega, welcome to the forum!

C57C9391-7BFA-4685-A839-4FBE11C3BC5B.jpeg

Screen shot of your truck chassis. You can see the cracked gear in it! This is one of the main issues with the chassis. You will need to replace these gears, the crack will lock the motor, as you probably may have seen. With you being in the UK, I have no idea about what resources you have available for parts. My only suggestion is eBay, and if a seller can ship internationally to you.

I will say also there is a lot of oil residue and debris on the chassis and motor. Someone way over-lubricated it and all that excess oil is like a magnet for dirt. It would be super helpful to completely strip the chassis down and give it a bath. I’d use warm soapy water on the chassis frame/weights and alcohol or electronics cleaner on the motor.

17029CF6-C719-4355-8B88-37F4B6C5EA99.jpeg

The track, well, it’s pretty toasted. That broken off part is a lock to hold it to the next piece. With that missing the track may separate, although the next piece can hold to it. Also at the top, the rail is sticking out by itself, the point has been broken off. While these issues won’t really affect use, you just have to be careful putting the track together so not to bend that exposed rail.

There isn’t a fix unless you could 3D print the missing parts and attach them. Otherwise you’re looking at replacing with another part.

I just had a couple off topic questions because a lot of these export sets are a mystery. They do come up for sale but not often.

Curious as to the specifics on the power pack. Assuming you’re using 220 VAC and 50 Hz. Is the output on the pack 6.9 VDC? It looks like a US adapter to be honest.

Also do you have a content sheet or what set number this is? It looks like a US version 3208 Interstate Delivery, which seemed to be a fairly common export set. As I said, I’ve seen these sets before, but they are mostly shrouded in mystery, as it’s difficult to even find some of the domestic sets here in the US.

Apologies for not being able to give some more concrete info, but like I said I have no idea what resources you have available. It’s sometimes difficult to even find stuff here, so I can imagine your difficulties.

• Like/Thanks
Hey Mega, welcome to the forum!

View attachment 614

Screen shot of your truck chassis. You can see the cracked gear in it! This is one of the main issues with the chassis. You will need to replace these gears, the crack will lock the motor, as you probably may have seen. With you being in the UK, I have no idea about what resources you have available for parts. My only suggestion is eBay, and if a seller can ship internationally to you.

I will say also there is a lot of oil residue and debris on the chassis and motor. Someone way over-lubricated it and all that excess oil is like a magnet for dirt. It would be super helpful to completely strip the chassis down and give it a bath. I’d use warm soapy water on the chassis frame/weights and alcohol or electronics cleaner on the motor.

View attachment 615

The track, well, it’s pretty toasted. That broken off part is a lock to hold it to the next piece. With that missing the track may separate, although the next piece can hold to it. Also at the top, the rail is sticking out by itself, the point has been broken off. While these issues won’t really affect use, you just have to be careful putting the track together so not to bend that exposed rail.

There isn’t a fix unless you could 3D print the missing parts and attach them. Otherwise you’re looking at replacing with another part.

I just had a couple off topic questions because a lot of these export sets are a mystery. They do come up for sale but not often.

Curious as to the specifics on the power pack. Assuming you’re using 220 VAC and 50 Hz. Is the output on the pack 6.9 VDC? It looks like a US adapter to be honest.

Also do you have a content sheet or what set number this is? It looks like a US version 3208 Interstate Delivery, which seemed to be a fairly common export set. As I said, I’ve seen these sets before, but they are mostly shrouded in mystery, as it’s difficult to even find some of the domestic sets here in the US.

Apologies for not being able to give some more concrete info, but like I said I have no idea what resources you have available. It’s sometimes difficult to even find stuff here, so I can imagine your difficulties.
Thanks for the advice. i have started to strip down the damaged truck ready for repairs. As for the extra electrical component, these were added to avoid interference from old TV's and there remotes (alot of toys from the era have them), they don't effect performance.

As for the point on the track, thanks for letting me know, i will look into finding replacements / design 3d printable parts to fix the issue.

To answer your questions, the power pack i got is a tyco power pack that inputs 240V AC at 50Hz with a british plug attached. the output says its 5,6V DC - 2,3VA (squigle) 1A.

As for set number, i couldn't find the number on the box or in the documents i have. but it is a Interstate Delivery Set.
IMG_20240126_101433_622.jpg
IMG_20240126_100750_528.jpg

To answer your questions, the power pack i got is a tyco power pack that inputs 240V AC at 50Hz with a british plug attached. the output says its 5,6V DC - 2,3VA (squigle) 1A.
Yeah, that’s interesting. It runs less voltage in DC because of the 240 VAC where we have two packs, one early version at 120 VAC and 6,9 VDC, and a revised version at 120 VAC outputting 7,9 VDC at 2 VA and can be 50 or 60 hz. I always envied foreign countries and their 220 VAC house current.
As for set number, i couldn't find the number on the box or in the documents i have. but it is a Interstate Delivery Set.
View attachment 617
That’s cool. Seeing it’s a UK set, printed in English, we usually see these in other languages; mainly Italian and French, over here. The content sheet is similar to ours but the assembly sheet is completely different.

Even in that the set is in a fitted case is making me jealous. We just got cardboard boxes with everything loosely packed in.

Anyway, hope you get it squared up like you want it. Kinda bollocks that you don’t have the variety of stuff like we do here. I can imagine how hard it is to find US-1 over there. Cheers!

• Like/Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread